Mosele’s clients asked for her help designing bars, bike rooms, nurseries, and even at-home saunas. And, to do these projects, they wanted her to transform their extra closets. convert closet to office Leave considerable space over your desk area (so you don’t hit your head every time you stand up) and put up some floating shelves to show off your precious items.
How do you organize a Cloffice?
- Set up shelving.
- Add baskets.
- Hang mirrors.
- Pick a color palette.
- Set the desk inside a small closet.
- Use plenty of shelving for displays.
- Add some greenery.
We all deserve a secluded space away from the noise and bustle of the outside world, a designated locale in which to put our heads down and get to work. Sarah Lyon is a freelance writer and home decor enthusiast, who enjoys sharing good finds on home items. Since 2018, she has contributed to a variety of lifestyle publications, including Apartment Therapy and Architectural Digest. Figure out what you need to plug in and have an electrician come over to provide the proper plugs for lighting and electronic equipment.
Share this story
The amount you will need depends on how large your desk is. This will be used to remove existing shelving, screw in the supports for the desk, and screw in the floating shelf above the desk. 2020 may be officially over, but, for a lot of people, working from home is not! Sure, it would be great to have anything and everything you want in your home office. After all, there’s nothing wrong with having a beautifully furnished office. There may be times, though, when you have to compromise.
- Jillian’s personal photos situated amongst the office solutions mixed up the look of the space for a feeling that was relaxed and still fully functional.
- Stud Finder – This will be used to find the studs to attach the desk supports to.
- This person sacrificed a walk-in closet to be able to have some scooting room in the office.
- For a more permanent storage option, built-in cabinetry can be custom-fit to the closet’s dimensions to create a polished look.
Opt for potted plants that stay alive without natural lighting. For example, the ZZ plant, or zamioculcas zamiifolia, adapts to low light levels. As long as you have several sources of light, you can turn off the ones you don’t need at the moment and create an ideal ambience in your home office. Having no doors makes a small space office appear larger; the downside is lack of privacy. However, curtains and dividers can easily separate work and home life without taking up too much space. A carefully selected swivel chair offers space-saving benefits in a confined space.
Final Thoughts on DIY Closet Desks
1 x 2’s – These are for the supports under the desktop. You’ll need enough for the back wall support and two sides. The food must be delicious, the cocktails and wine must be a perfect match, and the decor needs to impress without being over the top. With all that going on, it’s amazing that she gets any time to write about her thoughts on securing the dream job.
- Creative paint jobs aren’t reserved for full-sized rooms only—you can just as enthusiastically infuse tons of much-needed style into a tiny closet office.
- Although smaller fitted closets may not have room for any type of cabinet, most closet offices will have the space for at least one decent set of drawers.
- Begin by measuring the closet to see if your desk, printer, or filing cabinets will fit.
- Start by measuring the closet interior at the level of the countertop.
- There may be times, though, when you have to compromise.
- Display framed photos, carry your home’s color palette throughout and make it a space you’re proud to display.
- The most complex part of the transformation is the desk, constructed of two filing cabinets and a pre-made melamine desktop.
Trust us, if you do this, you’ll look forward to enjoying your morning coffee in here day after day. “You can never have too much storage space in your home,” says Kimberly Jay, a broker at Compass. She explains that buyers are always checking for closet space — and the more, the better. But if you do have both walk-in closets and additional closets (the dream, right?), and you don’t have an office, it could be a value-add to convert your space. If you’re using your preexisting wall color, this will mainly just be touching up where you filled in the holes. If you’re painting with a completely different wall color, you will want to measure off and just paint the top portion of your closet with the new lighter color.
Custom-designed kids’ closets and workspaces were in high demand last year. Now in 2021, the at-home office is getting a bit of a makeover.
In a small workspace with ambient light, task lamps increase illuminance which helps with focus-based activities. The term “cloffice” refers to the concept of turning your closet into a mini-office. Thus, what we call a WFH closet, or a cloffice, has evolved into a trend of its own. A free newsletter featuring workspace tours with makers + WFH tips and ideas. Avoid it as much as you can in your cloffice, and always look for storage solutions in lieu of just shoving everything into a corner. Everything really is possible, including turning a closet into an epic home office.
You could use vinyl wallpaper, an accent wall paint with painted stencil, wood shiplap, or even a thin peel-and-stick wood veneer. You could also try painting the back wall with chalkboard paint. Draw out a calendar or a to-do list, or just let your imagination wander. However, in most cases, you’ll need to add an outlet or two into your closet office.